As more and more people are looking into the healing properties of marijuana, those that have never experimented with it before may not feel confident going to a dispensary. As such, we are here to give you the information you’ll need to walk in with confidence! There exists two categories of marijuana, Indica and Sativa. Each has different effects on the body. There also exists a blend of the two, which are called hybrids. Some of the most popular hybrids include Pineapple Express, Trainwreck, and Mandarin Cookies.
Exploring Hybrid Cannabis Strains:
Hybrids contain both Indica and Sativa. As such, they share the benefits of both types of marijuana and blend them together. Hybrids can be considered enjoyable, energizing, and relaxing depending on whether it is Indica or Sativa dominant.
Hybrids develop phenotypes that are either Sativa-dominant, Indica-dominant, or evenly balanced. Growers purposely produce new strains by combining different mother strains to get a variety of effects. Both Sativa and Indica strains are used for both medicinal and recreational purposes. (Can I delete this cause this is completely out of place?)
Sativa or Indica?
Typically, newcomers like to think of the different categories of marijuana as follows:
- Sativa strains are more energizing, whereas Indica strains are more calming.
- The same holds true for hybrids; if they are Sativa-leaning, they will be more energizing, while Indica-leaning hybrids will have more of a calming effect.
Each strain is distinct in its own right and offers the user different effects. It is wise to think of what type of effect you are looking for before going to a dispensary. Staff are very knowledgeable, yet having an effect or preference in mind will help them find the strain that’s right for you!
Here are some of the key differences between Indica and Sativa:
- Indica: these strains typically offer full-body effects, such as a deep body relaxation. These strains are perfect for those that want a soothing effect before going to sleep. Many people choose Indica-heavy strains at night to help with insomnia.
- Sativa: Sativa strains produce opposite effects. They are energizing and provide a “head high.” They can make the user feel more focused and creative. They are also consumed for euphoric effects.
Finding the best effects from true sativas and true indicas can be difficult. As such, many growers breed hybrids in order to generate the very best effects from their strains.
Growing Hybrid Cannabis:
Today, most hybrids are grown in a greenhouse or on farms from a blend of Sativa and Indica. Many hybrids are grown to increase the THC percentage of the final product. Some other key growing insights include:
- Effects: some farmers and producers grow hybrids with a unique set of effects. Some are grown to reduce anxiety, others to reduce the symptoms of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- The time of consumption: some growers develop hybrids for specific uses and times of day, such as Indica-heavy strains, to help with insomnia.
- The best of both worlds: many feel that the effects of Indica and Sativa alone are overwhelming, so they merge the two for a strain that offers the best benefits of each mother strain.
Some of the Top Hybrid Strains to Try in 2021:
Producers and growers are always coming up with a new hybrid option; here are some of the top options available thus far in 2021. Keep in mind that the name of the mother strains are often included in the names, so it can get confusing. Fear not as the dispensary staff will help you keep them distinct, while aiding you select the best option for your personal needs.
1. Mandarin Cookies:
According to Allbud.com, Mandarin Cookies is a Sativa dominant hybrid, which crossed two popular strains, Cookies and Mandarin Sunset.
- Flavor and Aroma: Mandarin Cookies has a sharp citrus flavor with nutty and herbaceous notes at the end. Some say it reminds them of an almond cookie. The aroma is earthy with tangerine overtones which can become pungent.
- Effects: The high from Mandarin Cookies starts with a rush of euphoria, energy, and motivation. This will help push out any negative thoughts. After that initial burst, the user will feel their body relax, keeping their limbs at ease.
- Treatment: Mandarin Cookies can be a good option for those suffering from pain, depression, anxiety, migraines, and chronic fatigue.
- Visual: Mandarin Cookies has an elongated shape with olive-green nuggets, yellow hairs, and frosty trichomes.
2. Cold Creek Kush:
THC: 15% – 22%
Cold Creek Kush is an Indica dominant hybrid developed by crossing MK Ultra and Chemdawg 91. Its high provides a super relaxing effect.
- Flavor and Aroma: Cold Creek Kush has a sweet flavor with a hint of earthiness. The aroma has wood overtones, with spice and herbs as it finishes.
- Effects: The high will come on slowly with warm tingling sensations, and then the user will feel completely relaxed. This will not change one’s energy levels.
- Treatment: This product can be great for users who suffer from insomnia, muscle spasms, pain, anxiety, and depression.
- Visual: Cold Creek Kush buds are very dense with bright orange/amber trichomes and long twisted hairs.
3. Lilac Diesel:
This is a rare hybrid because it is evenly balanced at 50% Sativa and 50% Indica. It was created by crossing several popular strains together. Silver Lemon Haze, Forbidden Fruit, Cherry Pie, and Citral Glue were melded together to create this popular hybrid.
- Flavor and Aroma: Lilac Diesel buds produce aromas reminiscent of sweet berries with a spice overtone. It tastes herbaceous with notes of citrus.
- Effects: Lilac Diesel offers a creative and energizing high that will make you feel relaxed and positive. Upon consumption, users will feel euphoric and energized, as well as focused and creative. The high usually ends by producing deeply relaxing and calming effects.
- Treatment: The high THC level can be good for gastrointestinal issues, appetite loss, severe pain, depression, anxiety, and chronic stress.
- Visual: Lilac Diesel buds are small and dense. They are light green with lilac overtones in the buds with dark amber hairs and crystal trichomes.
4. Royal Highness:
Royal Highness is a Sativa dominant hybrid which averages 60% Sativa. It is a blend of two popular strains, Dance Hall and Respect.
- Flavor and Aroma: Royal Highness has a sweet, fruity aroma with a skunky finish. It tastes like blueberries with earthy notes. It is reminiscent of the smell many associate with ‘old school’ cannabis.
- Effects: After the first hit, the user will get a cerebral rush and feel motivated and energetic. The user will be able to function without racing thoughts. It is well-balanced and known to alleviate pain and provide a relaxing sensation.
- Treatment: Royal Highness is often used to help those suffering from fatigue, chronic pain, and loss of appetite.
- Visual: The bud has dark green, grape-shaped nuggets with purple undertones and signs of resin.
5. Tropic Thunder:
Tropic Thunder is a Sativa-leaning dominant hybrid, containing 80% Sativa. It is an offshoot from classic Maui Wowie.
- Flavor and Aroma: Tropic Thunder has a fresh, light floral aroma. It tastes slightly bitter but has a Kool-Aid and grape flavor when smoked.
- Effects: Because of its high Sativa level, Tropic Thunder provides users with energetic effects and can be consumed at any time in the day.
- Treatment: This strain is used to mitigate symptoms of cancer, depression, asthma, fibromyalgia, PTSD, muscle spasms, migraines, mood swings, and so on.
- Visual: Tropic Thunder buds are lime green with deep purple hues.
6. White Widow:
White Widow is an Indica dominant hybrid, with 80% Indica. It is a very popular hybrid because it combines the best of Sativa and Indica highs.
- Flavor and Aroma: White Widow has a spicy, earthy taste and a gassy smell.
- Effects: Consumers generally experience an immediate relaxing high, typical of most indicas.
- Treatment: Because of its high Indica content, it is excellent for those that have sleep disorders. It is also used to treat patients that suffer from severe, ongoing pain, anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Visual: The bud is usually light and fluffy, while having a light green with fine white crystals.
Why choose Soul Rebel Cannabis?
Soul Rebel Cannabis is your go-to resource in Canada for cannabis. They offer a wide variety of different strains for both medical and recreational users. They offer flower, pre-rolls, vape cartridges, edibles, topicals, and a wide assortment of accessories.
It can be a daunting task for those who have never been to a dispensary, but the environment and staff make everyone feel welcome. The knowledgeable staff will help the novice choose the type of cannabis that best suits their needs. Whether you are looking for help with a medical solution or looking for a wide variety of recreational products, Soul Rebel has what you need at one of their locations near you.